Last week I was invited to shoot at a Zumbathon® in South Florida. I cover a lot of Zumba events, many raising money for excellent causes......Breast Cancer, ALS, surgery costs, etc however this event really opened my eyes. The proceeds from the event went to The Rose Network, and organization that raises awareness to prevent human trafficking. We all think that this happens in other countries, but yet its happening right under our noses!
Here is what I learned:
- There are 27 million "modern day" slaves in the world today....more than anytime in history.
- Human trafficking or slavery was abolished in the US in the 1800's, and is an illegal act. Slaves today are typically bought and sold for sexual exploitation or forced labor.
- 2.5 million are slaves right here in the US.
- Human trafficking is a $32 billion industry....more than the revenue of Google.
- Florida has been identified as a hub for human trafficking activity, citing one of the highest incidences of human trafficking in the country with only California and New York having more incidents.
- Victims average age is 12, although many victims are typically between 18-24 years of age.
This is a serious crime and growing internationally. Its ranked right behind the drug trade and arms dealings!
What can we do? Keep raising awareness through amazing event like this. If you feel that you have come into contact with a victim of human trafficking, you can also contact the National Human Trafficking Resource Center at 1.888.373.7888
I would like to thank Loibels Dance Studio in Boca Raton, Florida for hosting such an amazing event, and to my friends and quite beautiful and stunning instructors:
Check out some of the fun!!!! All pictures can be found on the Prescott Enterprises Photography website